I have now spent four hours doing my Service Learning Practice. The Seeds of Hope Charitable Trust is the organization I have chosen to work with. The Seeds of Hope Charitable Trust was established in 1996. The mission of Seeds of Hope is to make a Catholic education available to economically disadvantaged children. Seeds of Hope supports Catholic elementary and high schools serving a low-income, high minority population in the inner-city of Denver. Tuition assisted grants, scholarships, vouchers, operating support, and grants for programs and technology are ways in which Seeds of Hope support these schools. The organization is in alliance with the Archdiocese of Denver and concerned business and community leaders. The primary focus is the the Six Schools in Urban Neighborhoods (S.U.N. schools). The S.U.N. schools are located in areas that are impacted by poverty and violence and the households are predominantly single-parents. The Seeds of Hope also serve seven other Focus Schools. The funding for Seeds of Hope is through a number of individual donors, foundations, corporations and family foundations. 91% of every dollar donated to Seeds of Hope goes directly to programs.
The reason I chose this charitable organization was because I believe all children should have an opportunity for a quality education. I feel that an education is the building blocks to the success of our children's future. I am the product of a Catholic education and so is my son. Education was a priority supported by my parents growing up. My parents worked hard to send all eight of their children to a Catholic elementary and high school. I have passed that passion on to my son. Catholic elementary schools in the Archdiocese of Denver have a 97% graduation rate. If I can help increase this percent by supporting this organization, I will do what I can to help.
Currently my volunteer hours have been helping to support a fundraising event that will take place in April. The first contact with the organization was an orientation to the Seeds of Hope Charitable Trust. An orientation is the first step to the volunteer process. I have spent a total of four hours of volunteer work. The fundraising event has required over 1,200 invitations to be sent out. I have helped with the envelope stuffing and will be helping to gather donated silent auction items for the event and putting together gift baskets for the silent auction. I plan on volunteering at the event in April. There are many opportunities to contribute volunteer hours to this organization. The organization has multiple fund raising events throughout the year. There is also the opportunity to tutor students at the schools and volunteer time to help the school nurses. My plans are to continue with the fundraising and eventually start to tutor children.
Sounds like a terrific site - Great job answering the specific midterm questions. MG
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great site. children health and education are very important aspects to focus on. best wishes with the project. Janet W
ReplyDeleteJanet,
ReplyDeleteThank you for the support. I value an education. Children are the key to the future, which makes education so important.
Ruth
Dr. Gilbert,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the support. Seeds of Hope is a wonderful organization, giving children the opportunity to attend a Catholic school. My son attended a Catholic grade school, which gave him a great foundation to grow from.
Ruth
Hi Ruth,
ReplyDeleteYou have chosen a great site for service learning. Education is a cornerstone to carry us through life. Good luck with your April fundraising project.
Sorry to not have read your second post prior to my first posting (I am being challenged by blogging!). To read of your projects fundraising success was heartwarming. Great job! Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteHappy Wednesday Everyone! Good Luck forging ahead with the DNP program! I look forward to following everyone to see how each individual's project progresses.
ReplyDeleteRegards
Ruth
Hi Ruth,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like your service project went very well. It sounds like it is a very helpful organization that brings hope to many. Great job.